Pages

Mar 18, 2017

Anime Review: 薄桜鬼 - Hakuouki ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~

Hello again for another Review :D

This time it is gonna be about my current obsession so this might be a bit biased but I am trying to be as objective as possible~ So here goes. lets have a look at...

薄桜鬼 ~Demon of the Fleeting Blossom~ (2010) [Studio Deen]

(c) Studio Deen
This show consists of two seasons and is based on the otome (reverse harem)-game with the same name. It takes place between 1860 and 1869 and revolves around the main character Yukimura Chizuru who travels from Edo to Kyoto in search of her father who was called to the capital by the Bakufu as a doctor and went missing around 6 months ago. Shortly after her arrival in Kyoto Chizuru, who disguised herself as a man, is attacked by demonlike soldiers. Soon she is saved by three young and charismatic man who are part of the newly formed Shinsengumi. But because she has witnessed things she shouldn't have she is taken in by her saviors to be questioned and possibly killed. At the Shinsengumi headquarters Chizuru soon realizes that she and the group have the same objective - finding her father. So while searching for her father the bonds between Chizuru and the Shinsengumi grow stronger and many more mysteries are unraveled.

Hijikata Toshizo <3 - (c) Studio Deen
STORY: 9/10
It took my 5 years until I finally watched the anime because I thought this would be yet another crappy reverse harem-anime and I thought I could do something better with my time BUT after I finally started watching it I couldn't stop anymore. Usually in otome-stories the focus is more on the romantic relationships and the mostly annoying heroine but Hakuouki is totally different. Chizuru is present and the guys fawn over her from time to time but the story could very well live without her. The story mainly focuses on the historical events and developments. The struggles of the people during that time are really present and got spiced up by a bit of fantasy. Also the relationships of all the characters are important and only during the end it gets somewhat romantic.
ART: 10/10
I LOVE IT! The character design is amazing, the surroundings and backgrounds are beautiful - it is very harmonious in my opinion. The fighting scenes are well done and I overall really enjoyed every second watching it.

Yukimura Chizuru our Heroine ^-^ - (c) Studio Deen
CHARACTERS: 8/10
I love all the Shinsengumi members. Every member got their own distinct personality and they were totally relatable. Even the supporting characters got a back story and I was really sad when bad things happened to them. Only downpoint was the heroine". Even though Chizuru wasn't your typical maiden in distress, she also wasn't really able to fend for herself. She tried to stand her ground but somehow she failed more than she didn't xD This point sadly was like most reverse harem anime. I would have loved a heroine that was more independent. Chizuru was okeyish but not good in my opinion.

 
all pictures (c) Studio Deen

MUSIC/SOUND: 10/10
The Openings and Endings were amazing. They really fit the overall feel of the anime. The background music was also on point in my opinion. It didn't stand out too much but at the important scenes it emphasized the mood very well.


OVERALL: 9/10
If you love historical pieces, dramatic battles and a tad heartbreak this anime is the right choice for you. Also good looking guys and a bit of romance aren't to bad either, am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment